Monday, March 14, 2011

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Ahh I needed that.

My bluray copy just arrived and I couldn't remember if I had heard the commentary before or not. Now that I've heard it I'm still not sure, there wasn't that much info in there that isn't in the extras except for a little more talk about the lighting and use of smoke which was cool.

But what else can you say about this film? It's the best romantic comedy ever made? Michel Gondry is a visual genius? Charlie Kaufmen writes the best scripts ever? The cast is Awesome? Jon Brion scores are the best? All valid and true and all superfluous, most everybody that's seen it knows this. And those that haven't can't be my friend. Seriously, if you can't appreciate even one element of this film then I don't understand how you could like film at all.

The Bluray show up some of the older cg effects, maybe I'm looking too hard for them though now that I know where they all are and have analysed every frame within an inch of it's life looking for the seams and transition points in the visual trickery.

Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet, both cast against type, do outstanding work here. The whole cast is so cool. Despite the bizarre and fantastical elements everyone can find something relatable in these characters situations and relationships. It's a story filled with hurt and heart. I loved the tech side of it, but repeat viewings are mainly for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment