Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Mechanic


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Never saw the original with Charles Bronson. In fact looking over his credit list I don't think I've ever seen him in anything. (That's right, I've never seen Once Upon A Time in the West, The Dirty Dozen, The Magnificent Seven or the Great Escape. I'm not good with Old Westerns and War movies and it takes a great effort on my behalf to get me to watch them... Shame on me I know, but I just can't get excited about them.) So I don't know how it compares in story or action. I just know Jason Statham does not have a moustache.

I've said it before, I love Ben Foster and that may have hindered my view of this one, because I felt far too much sympathy for him and was thus really let down by the ending. I like Jason Statham fine in certain roles, this is one of the good ones thankfully. But Ben Foster is far more interesting. The scene of his first job is my favourite part of the film. He's so good pretending to lead on another guy in order to kill him.

I saw this with an older crowd that all gave a little humm of delight when Donald Sutherland popped up. Despite his character being in a wheelchair he still gets a little old person actiony scene at the start of the film. I liked that. There should be more wheelchair action scenes.

Simon West handles the action just fine and there are some pretty explosions to look at in the latter half. Some good shoot outs too. All in all a good action film but the end was a little disappointing if your sympathies lie in the wrong place.

No comments:

Post a Comment