Thursday, April 21, 2011

Arthur


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I have no strong feelings about the original, which I only watched a month ago. I think this one is a fine remake if and only if you like Russell Brand. He's the kind of guy that can rub people the wrong way, but I have no strong opinion about him either way so I found the film perfectly enjoyable.

I certainly thought I was funnier than the original which is probably blasphemous and could loose me some friends but in truth I did laugh more in this one than the original. For one thing I find Greta Gerwig much more agreeable as a romantic interest than Liza. And Helen Mirren is just great in everything.

I also think the story comes across better in this version, or it's more palatable. Especially the ending which, while still a bit of a cop out like the original, feels slightly more earned. Arthur actually goes to rehabilitation and tries to get a job and change his life. And through his contact, Greta Gerwig actually makes a change in her life as well. The whole story just feels more complete by the end.

There are a lot of nice little nods to the original, namely the cars, a reference to shoplifting and the Bacharach song at the end credits (which are pretty neat btw). If you like Brand, this is definitely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment