Thursday, April 7, 2011

Giant


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

When Elizabeth Taylor died I put this on my to see list. It's a classic I'd always meant to see but never got around to. I didn't know anything about it except Taylor and James Dean were in it.

Unfortunately it's one of those old school family epics I just don't do too well with. It's great, it is, but I'm not a fan of big long life stories that just go one without end or purpose. I can't stand Gone With the Wind and although this is much less melodramatic at least that had a few big visually epic events to grasp onto. This one could have just been a big play, and it's own sequel.

I have no affinity for Texas. Or this time period. Or the people in it. I had to watch this in two sittings and really struggled to keep interest through the second part. I can definitely appreciate it's value, it's just not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment