Tuesday, August 23, 2011

THX 1138


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Tyler

Ahh yes, George Lucas' first film. And you can tell he has a great eye and he's a great editor. That's still true to this day, despite what you might say about the Star Wars prequels and his obsessive tinkering with the originals. The bluray I watched is indeed the "directors cut" with a whole bunch of new effects added. I honestly cannot recall if I have ever seen the original, I think i did a long time ago on vhs once, but I can't be sure.

I do love the minimalist dystopian future the film presents. It's a smart move to make a sci-fi world on a budget and still look so striking. The sound and editing are quite stark and startling at times. It really makes you pay attention. Dialogue is almost secondary, like a texture. Probably why it's one of his best films.

The style is also very distancing. It can be hard to get a handle on the characters, especially at the start. It does leave a lot up to the audience to connect the dots. I do like that about it though.

And Lalo Schifrin's music is great.

Probably not the best film to put on late at night when you are tired but still enjoyed watching through this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment