Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Adventures of Tintin


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Mum, Dad, Jordan, Amberly, Tyler, Louisa, Naomi, Shane, Michael, Marie-Anne, Gerry, Nicole, Sam, Eathan, Kat, Ant, Werzle, Marcie, Lauren

Earlier this year we got to see what a feature length 3d animation from FX house ILM looks like with Rango. Now Weta has answered the call with an adaptation of a beloved character written by Edgar Wright, Steven Moffat and Joe Cornish, produced by Peter Jackson and directed by Steven Spielberg. Holy cow that's a hell of a pedigree.

As expected, it looks very pretty. Some uncanny valley issues, sure, but the world they've created is wonderfully detailed. Comparisons to Indiana Jones are apt. It is a fun period action adventure thrill ride and Spielberg seems to be having a good time playing in this new digital playground. Hell, there's a 7 minute action sequence all done in one shot. I do love my Spielberg action set pieces. Although he seems to be having so much fun with his camera it's never still, I felt sorry for the people in my group (biggest of the year!) who had never seen a 3D film before, they had a rough time for a lot of it.

Andy Serkis creates another memorable mo-cap performance. I liked Daniel Craig as the villain too, and of course Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. I was disappointed they didn't have Professor Calculus and the shark submarine but perhaps next time. Oh and it's the 2nd film in a row where opera plays an important part, but I like it's use in this film much more. Hilarious.

SWORD FIGHT WITH CRANES!

I loved the opening title sequence, although it's very reminiscent of Catch Me If You Can. The John Williams score was very similar in that segment.

The film is extremely enjoyable, I had a great time, I wanted more from the finale but they opted for a sequel set up rather than a full conclusion. I guess that suit, it is an ongoing series after all, and I would like to see Peter Jackson have a turn at one.

No comments:

Post a Comment