Monday, April 23, 2012

Island of Lost Souls


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I'm a massive War of the Worlds nut but I've never given as much attentions H.G. Wells' other stories. With the Island of Dr. Moreau I grew up with the 1996 version that had David Thewlis, Val Kilmer, Fairuza Balk and Marlon Brando. It's been a very long time since I've seen that but I do remember enjoying it as a kid. (Apparently it's now regarded as one of the worst films ever made, so I must have had teriible taste as a child. Be interested to see it again...)

This version is pretty damn fantastic though. I can imagine just how effective and controversial it would have been in 1932 because it's still rather effective. While it does have all the conventions of 30's cinema that may make it seem a little dated today there are still parts of it that bring the horror.

I'm also slightly ashamed to admit that this is one of only a handful of Bela Lugosi films I've ever seen. He's made many classics that I've yet to take a look at, so I should get to that very soon. I doubt they'll all be as great as this one though.

Some nice creature effects too.

No comments:

Post a Comment