Sunday, April 8, 2012

Love


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Read about this one when it was doing the festival rounds. It sounded like it could be interesting, a sci-fi about a lone man on a space station as the world ends below him. I think...

I also liked the idea that it was made for no money over 4 years using sets the director built in his parents back yard. A real passion project.

It has echo's of Moon or Solaris and even some direct visual quotes from 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's pretty abstract, even more so once our protagonist has spent 6 years alone and going out of his mind. It starts off with a civil war period section which it echos throughout as well as interspersing to-camera interviews of a few different guys about various things, the reasons for which become apparent much later on. I'm still not exactly sure what I was watching at the end there, if it was real, metaphoric, if he was dead, all of the above, but it is all open to interpritation. A big cinematic poem.

Turns out the movie was funded by a band called Angels and Airwaves, who also provided the soundtrack, so it was more like an extended music video than anything. I have never heard of them before and frankly didn't care for the music anyway.

But the film does look very nice. Especially considering the budget and the do-it-yourself workmanship. It was well made and put together.

I'm really not sure I've fully come to any conclusions about the film yet. I'd probably need to watch it again to clarify some of its ideas but that's not something I'll be doing anytime soon, the pacing had more in common with Solaris than I would have liked to make that prospect enticing until I'm in the right frame of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment