Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Greetings


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Well apparently there is no trailer for this film, at least not one I can find. Very early Brian De Palma film, and I believe Robert De Niro's first feature. It's a series of vignettes following three friends  and their various antics being counter coulter hipsters in 1968 New York, dodging the draft, going on dates, unravelling the JFK assassination and other random things.

It's so very late 60's. And you can see the french new wave influence in this very free style of filmmaking. They do yap on about Blow Up. I'd say comedy is not De Palma's strong suit but there were one or two moments where I couldn't help but chuckle. I think they were actually both to do with De Niro and his filmmaking "art project" which was superbly acted out and has a great call back at the tail of the film.

There's no real plot per se, but it is certainly a curiosity that some may find of interest. I happen to despise the french new wave movement but at least this was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment