Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Dracula


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Ok Time to start going through this Universal Monster Bluray set. I'm ashamed to admit I have only ever seen Wolfman before. Better late than never though right?

Tod Browning's Dracula. Bela Lugosi. This may in fact be the first thing I've seen him in. Love the way they light his eyes in those close ups. But I gotta admit Dwight Frye was the stand out for me. His crazy servant act was by far the creepiest thing in the film for me.

Love that castle set too. 

This still feels very stagey. After all they did base it off the play from the time. I hear the Spanish version they shot concurrently has a bit more cinematic flare. That's also included on the disc so I might have to give that a watch too. 

Anyway great to finally see this classic. I can appreciate its historical significance even if the film itself didn't do much for me today. It's iconography is so ingrained in our culture though it's had not to be impressed by its endurability. 

2 comments:

  1. Try watching Nosferatu. It's even older than the Dracula film. And it has no copyright so you can download it or watch it online.

    Here you can find a very good website:
    http://archive.org/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen Nosferatu a couple of times actually. Makes a great double with Shadow of the Vampire!

    ReplyDelete