Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Savages


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Oliver Stone's latest is a return to the gritty crime saga and an enjoyable one. I don't know where I sit on the ending, it feels like a bit of a cheat but it isn't, it's just oddly handled. Nice to see he still like mixing his film stocks. It's a little odd when a two shot has noticeable grain and the reverse doesn't. I wonder if he's mixing film and digital now. But it makes for an interesting comparison in the cinema. 

So it's a great cast and I especially enjoyed Benicio Del Toro and Salma Hayek. 

It's odd but this feels like the kind of story that should have been told in the mid 90's. It's not exactly my thing but still nice to see one of these pulpy crime stories again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment