Saturday, June 29, 2013

Before Midnight


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Kate

I really love this series. I saw Before Sunrise many many years ago when I went through a Richard Linklater phase and was just fascinated that a film where there's pretty much just two characters talking could be so engaging. When they announced a sequel, Before Sunset, years later I was sceptical because the first film had such a nice open ending that could just be ruined. But the team really came through and again made something pretty special.

They are the great love affair of independent cinema. And now we have a third, and possibly final, chapter in their story. This film feels like it has a much more definitive end than the last two. It's wonderful to spend time with these characters again and see what the last 9 years have dealt them. For purists, pretty much any imagery is considered spoiler, but there were still surprises for me even after having read other reviews and seeing the trailer.

The relationship has changed greatly, this is a very different situation this time. It's a little more tense but even through it all you can easily see how much these two mean to each other. It's funny and a little sad and so wonderfully naturalistic. I loved it. I need to go back and watch the other two, it's been far too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment