Saturday, January 18, 2014

47 Ronin


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes

A classic tale told a billion times before, although still pretty much unknown in the western world. So we get a big hollywood blockbuster 3D version. Filmed with and entirely Japanese cast and shot twice, once in Japanese and then in English. I don't know if the Japanese version will ever exist except for on the cutting room floor but I'd love to see it one day. 

As it is, I found the english version pretty darn fun actually. I always appreciate it when a film bothers to shoot in 3D and with real, massive sets. It's a very cool looking film (even if you can really tell they shot in London whenever there's exterior landscape shots, no matter how much they matte paint it up...) and the action is good and the story is a classic, and they don't cop out on the ending, even though they had to add a white guy to the cast and a romantic subplot.

I don't think this film will be to everyones tastes, and I can see some problems with it, but it was exactly what I felt like watching when I went to the cinema so I am overlooking a lot of the muddily bits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment