Tuesday, August 12, 2014

God Help the Girl


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Jordan, Amberly

I don't know the music of Belle and Sebastian, perhaps if I did I would have known the heights of hipsterdom I was getting into. It's go that retro British pop style through and through, it's extremely hard to tell what decade the film is in, it looks like the late 60's, shot on old film stock, and has the same counterculture vibe of the films from then and there.

The trailer says it's a pop musical for everyone. I'd say it's for a very very niche market. And they'll eat it up too, it's quite fun. The cast are all fine, perhaps not all the best singers but the music didn't do anything for me anyway. I like it when songs have some kind of structure or rhymes.

It's a puzzling little piece, there's stuff about it I really like but it's all just a bit too cool for school, and the main attraction, the music, is really not to my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment