Friday, November 21, 2014

As Above, So Below


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Kate

Another found footage horror, this one following a National Treasure style hunt that ends up going all Event Horizon. The Dowdle brothers have dealt with found footage before. And hell as well. There's some of the usual stuff here, shadowy hooded figures, past traumas resurfacing and my favourite is the ever evolving maze of underground tunnels. They also get the benefit of using claustrophobia and cave ins and drowning and all the other cave exploration tropes. There's some good jump scares and a few tense moments.

The whole idea of this adventure story feels like a great pitch for an Indiana Jones movie. As a horror film it's okay. I found the supernatural adventure story and the found footage style to be a bit of an odd clash though. But I guess that makes it cheaper to produce?

Some fun ideas, I don't know how seriously the movie is taking itself and I found it had to figure out how seriously I should be taking it. Fun adventure and found footage horror. Odd mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment