Friday, November 14, 2014

Maléfique


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan

This is a french film I vaguely remembered from a while back. I'd been thinking about it lately and took the opportunity to dust it off and see if I remembered it correctly. I really love the concept, a prison drama that turns into an escape movie using supernatural means, which then leads to some full on horror. A confined space with small group of actors is a great set up for low budget films and this one works it quite well.

I really liked it when I was younger. It doesn't quite hold up to my memories, I found a lot of the horror stuff a bit clumsy and certainly the effects show their age. Some of the drama works alright. It very much feels like an episode of the twilight zone the way the film plays out.

Always interesting to go back and see these. The memory comes back to you as you watch it, it feels very familiar and at the same time it's like watching it fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment