Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wasted on the Young


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Ichina

First time I get to write up a film I have worked on. The Premiere was just held in Perth. Seeing yourself, your work, your name on the big screen is friggin awesome. And recognising all the locations and most of the people in the film is awesome too. For some people that is a regular occurrence, for people that live in the most isolated city in the world, I assure you it is not.

So obviously I don't have an objective opinion about this film. I tried to distance myself from it as much as possible, Even during filming I never read the script, never heard much dialogue spoken in the hopes that I could just watch the film and discover it for the first time in the cinema. It was actually a lot different stylistically to what I had expected but the very general outline was the same as in my head.

So another teen drama, but this is a heightened reality everything feels bigger, the drama, the characters, the actions. It's a world without adults where high school is more like being in the mafia, kid doing lines of coke and waving around hand guns. I love the look of the film, the editing is pretty slick and the images have a grungy blue palette.

The sound design it awesome too, give the sub woolfers a work out. Most of the music was great too, some of it, mainly just the very last piece before the credits I didn't like, but then I found the whole ending a little odd. I think people will interpret it in different ways, which may or may not be the intention.

The acting is the main element of the film that most people will focus on. I'm not a great judge of acting skill but everyone seemed great to me, although I still find the australian accent bizarre in film.

Overall a great and very dark morality tale. Feel free to disregard everything I wrote as I have my name in the credits 4 times, but do go and see it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment