Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Naomi, Alex, Amberly, Jordan, Josh, Tyler, Ashley, Geoff, Andrew, Bree

A classic romance designed as a sci-fi thriller. This time the this keeping our lovers apart is fate itself, and the men who control it.

Some cool stuff, I love all the door gags, acting is fine, romance angle is nice. But there are a few things that irked me. Casting Terence Stamp was one of them, he brings so much baggage as an actor now it is a little hard for me to see past that.

The other thing was the score, which sounded like a really bad Thomas Newman rip-off so it was even more disappointing to find out that Thomas Newman was the actual composer.

The other thing might be the pacing. There are some very long time gaps in the film and on the whole there never feels like there is any urgency. By the time the end comes around you don't really care what happens to the characters, as long as it ends soon.

Going in I thought getting over the main conceit of the film would be the problem, but apart from a few things it wasn't that much of an issue. At least not while watching it, I have more questions now that I think about it. But I guess the romance was enough to keep the mind occupied for the running time of the film.

It's not the best Phillip K. Dick film but it is far from the worst. I guess it was just a little light for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment