Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Ruins


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Glen

I have not read the book this is based on, and I understand the adaptation has upset some readers, but just as a viewer of the film I loved this. I think I'm in the minority with this one but it's true. They took a decidedly b-movie premise and (for me anyway) made it believable, tense, gruesome and engaging.

A large part of the credit for that has to go to the awesome cast. They are relatable and unlike a lot of horror films I think they react pretty rationally in the circumstances they are thrown into. And they are pretty dire circumstances. Great gore make up and effects in this one too. Unlike the other horror films I've been watching of late, it's not fun at all, they make it hurt.

The ending is a little ambiguous. I know there is an alternate in the special features and the book was different too so i can't judge but the ending I saw works fine I guess.

Oh an they shot the whole thing in Australia. I'm pretty sure they don't have kookaburras in South America.

No comments:

Post a Comment