Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I've been holding off getting these for 10 years waiting for the inevitable ultimate editions to be released. I really was just waiting for versions with commentary tracks but now the blurays are out it appears all they will be making are these partial visual commentaries in the ultimate editions so I've started getting them. 3 and 4 are my latest acquisitions and 5 and 6 should be out in June. 7 part 1 and 2 should be out for christmas.

Most unfortunately, the 3rd film, Prisoner of Azkaban which is probably my favourite doesn't even had the partial visual commentary. It's a shame, Alfonso CuarĂ³n's is the only one I really wanted to see a directors commentary on.

I'm planning on watching them all through before the last film so i'll write up more thoughts then but I will say that this is not a particular favourite of mine. Mike Newell is not an action director and it shows. That dragon fight could have been awesome. How on earth he was hired to make Prince of Persia is beyond me.

As cool as she is, Miranda Richardson's character is superfluous and probably should have been cut, she has important action in later books but seem as they didn't end up doing any of them in the films there's no reason to introduce her.

The only good bits of the film for me are the Yule Ball, the first major on screen death in the franchise and the rise of Voldemort. Oh and Viktor Krum who is the best.

The Weasley twins head up the commentary and they are a little annoying with some forced bad jokes. I'm hoping the future film tracks will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment