Sunday, June 26, 2011

Coraline


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly

I love my creepy kids films. Henry Selick's beautifully animated version of Neil Gaiman's story is one of my recent favourites. I've always been partial to Gaiman's work and Selick's animation style is a nice match. The animators make those models come to life in such fluid movement.

I remember seeing this a few times at the cinema for the 3D. It was very well done. Those stop frame animated films always seemed like you could reach out and touch them, they have a real hand-made tangible quality to them and the 3D only enhanced that. But the Bluray looks gorgeous as well, the details of the textures all come through and the colours (or lack of) come through nicely.

I really love the music too, it was one of my top soundtracks for that year. It's beautiful, intimate, quirky and creepy and really makes those horrifying moments that much more scary. And there are one or two very effective moments at the end of the film that really make it pop for me.

The voice cast are all great too. Overall a really neat film and something adults should enjoy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment