Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Jurassic Park


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Emmet, Alex

Jurassic Park is the best. I watch it now and forget that there actually isn't as many dinosaurs in it as I remember. They were very sparing and judicious about what they would show, probably because they were still figuring out what they could and couldn't do. But what the do show is awesome.

God bless Stand Winston. He made full size dinosaur robots. There will never be anyone like him again. An chances are if they were to make another one today (which apparently they are planning, but I'll believe it when I see it) they would do it all CG anyway.

Speaking of which, this is pretty much the film where everyone was sold on CG. Sure it had been used in bits and pieces here and there on a few films before, most notably James Cameron's The Abyss and Terminator 2, but here it produced living breathing characters that were really the feature of the film.

Spielberg creates a sense of wonder and awe surrounding the introduction of these creations. In 1993 it worked on the audience not just at the amazement of seeing a dinosaur, like the characters in the film, but also the amazement of how film effects suddenly took a huge leap into the future.

That first T-Rex attack still give me goosebumps. I love when he smashes his head through the roof of the jeep after the children and there's nothing between them but a thin plate of glass. Freaked me out as a kid the first time I snuck out of bed early one morning and watched it quietly it on VHS. (I was banned from watching because my older brother saw it and got scared. I will never forgive my parents for robbing me of this theatrical experience.)

All the action and suspense sequences are just great. You're in safe hands with The Beard. That and John Williams' iconic score that soars. And an awesome cast. Everything, it's all the best. Jurassic Park is the best. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment