Friday, October 21, 2011

Midnight in Paris


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I love a trailer that give the feel of a film without actually giving away what happens in it. I did know the synopsis, but still it's refreshing.

This film is just delightful. A simple look at the effects of nostalgia. It's also the first Woody Allen film to have used a digital colour grade and he uses it subtly but to great effect, saturating certain scenes in a warm golden glow that really does produce a nostalgic look and increases as the film progresses.

Owen Wilson is a great everyman. He's a great window to this world of an idealised Paris. The standouts for me however were Corey Stoll as Ernest Hemingway and a short cameo by Adrien Brody as Salvador DalĂ­.

I've only seen a handful of his prolific filmography but this has all the characteristic wit and repartee that's associated with him. Easily enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I missed it when it was out here!! :( I will have to download it...

    ReplyDelete