Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Restless


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Whoa, cancer double feature. I should have read more about what these films were about before randomly going to see both just because it was a cheap day.

Gus Van Sant is an interesting director. I suppose that's a nice way of saying sometimes I just don't get what he was thinking. I love some of his stuff, and other times I find it very boring. Oddly enough though, I liked Gerry, but I didn't like Last Days or Paranoid Park.

This one sits somewhere in the middle, but he's definitely in Indie movie mode. While it's no Harold and Maude it seems to be going for the same tone.

Mia Wasikowska is great, new comer Henry Hopper is pretty good too. Again, I just don't think I cared that much about the story. It's certainly a lot sweeter than I was expecting, and from the mixed reviews I've read I think some very low expectations helped somewhat. Faint praise indeed, but really, this is the worst film to follow up Burning Man. My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment