Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Fountain


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler

My number 1 film from 2007. Again, perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely adore it. It's also the last time Darren Aronofsky was so formal with is visuals and my lord they are rather staggering here. There is a very specific colour palette and many repeated visual motifs that link the three stories together.

As intrigued as I am to have seen what the massive $70 million blockbuster version of the story starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett in 2002 would have looked like, I really love the performances of Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz and can't really imagine anyone else in the roles now. I find Hugh Jackman suitably devastating.

Someone described this as a love letter to death and while that sounds rather morbid it does fit in a way. It's certainly the most beautiful film about death I've ever seen. Watch it and see what you make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment