Thursday, March 29, 2012

Titanic


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

What a spectacle. A movie made for the big screen. Scoff all you want at the romance or the moustache twirling villain but when that iceberg hits it's a master firing on all cylinders. It's been years since I saw the film and besides that old lady who just ruins everything for me, pretty much everything else works like a charm.

The 3D conversion works well for the most part. They even made some of the video footage from the rovers diving around the wreck into 3d. Only a few spots I noticed masks popping. But besides that they've cleaned up the print and the images look stunning, which it's straight from the camera. It's pretty incredible to think of the strides made in digital water and motion capture since this film but the majority of the fx hold up well. There are a few fully digital shots where the image quality drops, probably because they never created them in the resolutions we use today.

I can't stand James Horner using synth in this score. It sounds cheap and tacky when it should be as grand as the rest of the film. Do not like the score.

Despite its flaws I can easily give myself over to this film and enjoy the ride. I'll even admit to getting teary at the end despite that old lady opening her mouth and saying words that hurt my soul. James Cameron wrote some corny dialogue but most of the cast is so good they can get away with a lot of it.

I can't believe it's already been 16 yeas since this was made!

No comments:

Post a Comment