Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Avengers


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Mum

No, not the marvel comics one. Gotchya. This is that film version of the 60's British spy series made in 1998. Huge flop at the time and yet I still giggle watching it. I have absolutely no knowledge of the series it's based on apart from a few clips on youtube but the movie is absolutely ridiculous, very hammy but pretty fun.

What a bizarre cast. Uma Thurman seems out of place and Sean Connery as the maniacal villain also comes off as rather odd. But then again I've never understood the appeal of Sean Connery besides making fun of his accent. Eddie Izzard playing a heanchman again! At least this time he gets the films one allowance of swearing.

Pretty much all I remember about this film from when I saw it in 1998 was giant robotic bees. Still probably one of my favourite things in the film. But as it started the whole weather doomsday machine plot came back as well. I see a good deal of that trailer ain't in the finished film, apparently a good 40 minutes were cut out for the theatrical release and a directors cut has never been seen. I can't imagine many people clamouring for it. I don't know if anyone else even remembers this film? I'm sure Warner Bros would prefer you forget.

However badly it failed, there's still pleanty to enjoy here, in that trashy sort of way. It's obviously written for American audiences in mind and makes a lot of fun of the British stereotype. Plus it has a funky retro sci-fi design which I dig. And a cool score, thanks in large part to using the original theme song which is bound to make anything look 10% more awesome when put to it.

And Ralph Fiennes is just awesome too.

No comments:

Post a Comment