Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Spawn


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan

Yikes. Time hasn't been kind to this one. I was young and naive when I first watched this and like some of the new CG fx they developed for it. They don't really hold up too well. KNB EFX work still looks great though.

But even when I was young I could see this was a hugely problematic movie. It's like they tried to make a dark violent r-rated movie but aimed for little kids. It's not going to work for anyone. I do remember all that flashy late 90's style editing, I used to like that too. But in this film they over do it and with all the flashbacks and forwards the films structure becomes a bit of a mess too. So many zany transitions haha.

And the dialogue... It's big comic-booky dialogue. Some of it is just plain bad dialogue. Pretty funny.

John Leguizamo is giving it his all, that's for sure. I didn't mind him so much as a kid but yeah, he really grates now.

There's a good film that could be made from the franchise. This is not it.

No comments:

Post a Comment