Sunday, October 7, 2012

Mental


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Well I'm honestly not sure what to make of this one. I really liked a lot of it, some of it made oddly uncomfortable and the rest really grated on my nerves. I think that's mainly that very brash and broad Aussie humour that I'm naturally inclined to cringe at. However the ladies up the back thought it was a laugh riot, so it's probably just me.

The film seems to have a lot on its mind and very round about ways of expressing it. With the characters being so big and cartoonish I think we lose some of the bitter reality undercurrent that Murial's Wedding had. It's still there in spades, I just don't think it worked as well.

And I can only imagine that half the budget went to obtaining rights to The Sound of Music.

A mixed bag for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment