Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Deadly Blessing


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No

Snake in the bathtub. And this is a few years before Wes Craven went on to make Nightmare on Elm St. This one also sees Sharon Stone battling a spider. And the late great Ernest Borgnine doing some old school creepy biblical preaching.

The recent bluray release put this one on my radar, otherwise I'm afraid I'd never have heard of it. An 80's Wes Craven horror I haven't yet seen? I love finding out about titles like this. I love it more when they deliver. Really enjoyed this one.

I had started it quite late and was starting to drift off when a darn jump scare jolted me upright, and made sure I saw wide awake for the whole glorious finale and for a short time after as well. Lois Nettleton's wonderfully off kilter performance at the beginning perhaps tipped the hat a little too much but it was a joy to watch anyway.

And James Horner provides a a great horror score. I don't know many straight horror films he's done but it's a good fit here. It's no masterpiece but it's a very worthy companion to other fun 80's horror classics. And for those that already knew this, check out the bluray when you get the chance because it looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment