Saturday, May 18, 2013

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Michael, Jordan

Just a refresher. This is one of the handful of Star Trek films I'd actually seen before. But only once and besides the major beats I forgot the rest. There's much more of this film in Into Darkness than I previously thought. I guess to be complete I should go back and watch the Space Seed episode too. Apparently by 1993 Khan had taken over 43 countries on Earth before we him and his people frozen into deep space. Heh.

Khan actually has a 2nd in command that looks surprisingly like Benedict Cumberbatch.

Kirstie Alley as a Vulcan.

Some very early CG. I remember recently seeing the Genesis planet transformation demo on a Pixar documentary last month when they were talking about terrain generation. Pretty neat. 

And James Horner's score is remarkably similar to his awesome Krull score. Actually I think they are the same score. They would have been written at pretty much the same time anyway.

This film really shows its budget. I.E. it has none. Lots of shots and sets being reused from the previous movie and the TV show. It's pretty contained. And after having seen the new film so recently I'm struck by how little action or excitement there is. I guess in those days story and character were enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment