Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler

Time for a rewatch before the sequel. It's be a very long time since I watched this on first release. I was never obsessed enough to be able to quote the whole thing like some of my friends, in fact I think I only watched it once.

Watching the bluray now, the biggest tell tale sign that the film is 10 years old is that it is a comedy that was still shot using film. You can see the grain and a few specks on the print. With the amount of footage they generate in these improv comedies, the film stock must get very expensive (as evidenced by the copious amounts of extra features of deleted alternate and extended sequences that we waded through after). I can only imagine how much they create now they don't have to worry as much about that.

I enjoy those steps outside reality the film takes, the characters are heightened enough as is but there are moments that just push it over the top into absurdist territory. Ferrell and the gang all have their great moments. For me the unsung hero is Christina Applegate who has to be the straight person but still go toe to toe with this insanity and fit into the world.

I forgot about all those cameos too. They just roll them out.

Good to catch up with, still not an all time favourite but most enjoyable nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment