Monday, March 31, 2014

Nymphomaniac: Vol. I


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes


Some typical Lars von Trier fare. Irreverent, controversial, interesting, hilarious and pretentious. A series of stories from our protagonist's life framed by their telling to an apparently asexual Stellan Skarsgård.

The stories are sometimes interesting and often funny in that black comedic way Trier loves. But the stilted and strange writing in the framing device really rubbed me the wrong way and the piece as a whole is not very cohesive. Actually it's a complete mess. Although I did like a few bits of it it's not something I think is worth sitting through again.

Now I'm aware that the version I watched is an edited down version (still covering 2 films at 5 and a half hours...) and not the Directors cut, it goes out of its way to tell you this at the beginning. I think it's the American cut that censored much of the sex scenes, although there's still plenty in it. Perhaps the full version is a little more worth while? But from what I saw here I don't think I'll bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment