Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Odd Thomas


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Jordan

Stephen Sommers has made another movie! Under the radar. He should have made G.I. Joe 2, instead he's making independent fare. Sad. But even on a budget he makes a very fun yarn. And manages to get some really creepy and beautiful VFX creatures in there. 

Anton Yelchin is an affable lead and it reminded me a little of Brick, in that there's a strange and wonderful mix of 40's noir detective dialect and modern high school kids. Throw in some fun supernatural goings on and a great sense of deed leading up to the climax and you got a great fun modern kids horror film, something that is really lacking in today's film landscape in my opinion. 

It's good fun and I hope it gets seen by someone who's also keen for that fun goofy supernatural tone. That's exactly what R.I.P.D. should have been. 

No comments:

Post a Comment