Thursday, January 13, 2011

Burlesque


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

From the opening shot with a beautifully matte painted but obviously fake sunset sky, you can tell what you are in for with this one. Beautiful looking things that are obviously fake. Fake characters, fake emotion, fake plot justification, fake bone structure, but all of it beautifully backlit from the right.

If only life were like that. Everybody walking around backlit. From the right. And a bit of diffuse.

It is exactly what you expect it to be and nothing more. If you can accept that you might enjoy it. Watch "mutant lungs" (best line in the film) sing her heart out, watch the guy take his shirt off and swoon, watch them save the club etc. etc. It's fine, it works, why fix something that ain't broke right?

Wasted supporting cast. Stanley Tucci you are super and you make even you tiny part in this the best thing about the film. Alan Cummings I know I saw you in this film but I don't remember you doing anything. Evil boyfriend from Fired Up! you shall now be known as gay boyfriend from Burlesque.

They have been pumping out the soundtrack in the lobby of the cinemas for months now some I'm pretty sure I knew all the songs off by heart before I watched this. They aren't much better in the film. The only difference is the shiny costumes and a bunch of girls shaking their butt, rubbing their hands over their breasts and through their hair and calling it "dancing."

One of these kinds of films come along every few years. Flashdance, Center Stage, Show Girls? Can you count that? I'm going to include that. I'll go one step further and say it's the best of them all. Infact I'm determined to go get it on Bluray when I get home. That film deserved to be seen in High Definition. This film won't matter, it was so blurry to begin with. Must have been written into Cher's contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment