Monday, March 7, 2011

Rabbit Hole


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I went in expecting much more of a grief filled melodrama so I was pleasantly surprised to find a very restrained and understated drama. Brilliantly acted.

Sometimes I like Nicole Kidman and sometimes I don't, but she always seems best playing characters with a colder exterior. I really loved her in this, she is fantastic. She holds all her emotion in and you are just waiting for the dam to break. When it finally does you can almost feel the whole audience breathe a sigh of relief.

I thought the film might end there but it does one better. The ending is what really made me love this film. It is such a beautiful final scene and makes this a must see for me.

Despite the sombre tone there are also some parts I found really funny, like the first scene in the trailer. There are a few awkward laughs throughout.

This is a bit of a change of tone for director John Cameron Mitchell. Well I must sadly admit I have never actually seen Hedwig and the Angry Inch . Shame on me, I'll rectify that immediately, but I saw Shortbus and like it well enough. Also seems to be a change of pace for writer David Lindsay-Abaire, at least from his film work, which appears to be mostly children's films.

Anyway, I really loved this so make an effort and seek it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment