Thursday, April 28, 2011

Apocalypto


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan

This one took my a bit by surprise when I first saw it in theatres. Mel Gibson craziness and gratuitous violence complaints aside I didn't know what to expect. What I got was an awesome old school revenge thriller, albeit set in an exotic location in another language and culture.

The biggest surprise was the scale of the 2nd act. I love the everything you get to see of this civilisation, it's fascinating and the make-up and costumes are incredible. Looks good on bluray, you can see where they switch from film to digital.

But at the heart of it all is a simple story of a Man trying to get back to his family and stop the people that destroyed his village. The action is great and the world feels real, it totally transports you there. It's just neat. Ignore the hate and give it a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment