Thursday, August 11, 2011

Green Lantern


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Martin Campbell's strong point has always been the staging of physical action, so he seems a very odd choice for a film which ends up being computer animated. There's barely any live action ACTION in this film. As it stands the action is fine but nothing memorable.

This film is much more interesting when Earth is nowhere to be seen. Like I said about the first Hellboy, they feel tentative about fully embracing the more fantastic elements of the stories. I loved some of those creature designs though, and there's just so many of them, it's too much to take in in one go.

I do love Ryan Reynolds and he's great in the part but has to sell a lot of bad writing, motivation changes that take place out of nowhere and relationships that just don't work. Peter Sarsgaard is funny, he's also giving it his all. But I love him at the start when he's just a boring nerd, his posture is hilarious all by itself.

But overall this isn't a very memorable film. I'm really feeling the superhero fatigue right now and as spectacular as some of the imagery and action is, it all ends up just feeling like yet another comic book superhero film. The completely unmotivated coda at the end of the credit sequences also left a very bad impression but for the most part I didn't complain to much watching it. I'm pretty sure I've already forgotten about 80% of it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment