Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Illusionist


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

One of the few oscar nominated films from last year that I had yet to see, finally gets a release in Australia. I didn't like this film as much as The Triplets of Belleville but they are very different in tone, this is a deliberately paced, more observational and ultimately sad little story.

Still, it's really beautifully animated. I love the watercolour style backgrounds in particular. The Illusionist seems to be an animated version of Jacques Tati, as the story is based on one of his unproduced screenplays. I don't know much about his films, I've only seen Playtime, but like that film  there's no consequential dialogue. It's all about the non-verbal, which is perfect for animation.

It's a very slight film that, while subtly amusing, becomes progressively depressing as it comes to a close.  Very melancholy, something I wasn't expecting after the fun and action of Belleville.

No comments:

Post a Comment