Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler

Probably the first Terry Gilliam film I saw as a kid and was always on in our household. I loved this film, the adventure, the imagery but for a good 10 years or so I forgot about it then rediscovered it when I was older and found a whole new layer of meaning in the film I could never have comprehended as a kid.

Watching it now, it's hard for me to believe it was such a troubled production, the whole film holds up very well today. As I said before it is visually opulent, the production design astounding, the amount they must have built practically makes the reliance on effect less and even the effects are so well done in that old school fashion that they feel timeless. Like most Gilliam films, each frame is filled with detail. And The score is unlike any I've heard, a baroque adventure score. Beautiful.

I also find the film very funny. Again there is humour I loved as a child and a whole slew of jokes I couldn't understand until now. The great cast all do fine work, even very young Sarah Polley. This film was my introduction to many a fine actor.

This is a very nostalgic film for me. It's remained with me all these years and i'm sure has a huge part in shaping my love of fantasy, filmmaking and the art and importance of storytelling, which is everything to me. The ending of this film may feel like a cheat at first but I find myself appreciating it more with every viewing. One of my all time favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment