Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Piano Teacher


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler, Jordan, Amberly

Hard to believe this is 10 years old already. I love Michael Haneke films but you do have to be prepared for them. This is one of my favourites of his too, I think Isabelle Huppert is amazing. The camera lingers on her often just observing and she barley does anything but there's little hints at what crazy thoughts are going on through her head.

And that's one of the things I like about the film, it doesn't judge it's characters and lets the audience interpret their actions to a certain degree. I also like the very bare style, the shots and editing, the way he just lets scenes naturally play out in long takes and doesn't rely on music. It's masterfully directed and acted.

It can be a little confronting at times and is something you need to be prepared to concentrate on but if you're willing to do some of the work it's very rewarding. I absolutely love the films final moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment