Monday, October 17, 2011

Sleepers


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I first read about this film when I was brushing up for a game of six degrees of Kevin Bacon. It was a good one to know, Brad Pitt, Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro are easy links. But I never actually watched the film. Never even knew what it was about.

First half of the film is kids growing up in the late 60's, getting into trouble and being raped in prison and the last half is a courtroom drama trying to convict two of them for a revenge killing on the guard that raped them, where one friend is also the prosecution.

What I like about Barry Levinson's editing is the way he allowed spaces for the film to breathe and for John Williams' evocative score to come centre stage. It sounds very different to his other work I've been listening to of late and a great reminder of his versatility.

The impressive cast all do great stuff. It held my interest. Not really my kind of film but I still enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment