Monday, November 28, 2011

Das Boot


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

What can you do when you have to wait for computers to render? Watch the Uncut 293 minute version of Das Boot in German from the newly released bluray. Being a Wolfgang Petersen fan I always had intended to see this but I wanted to make sure I saw the full version. Really it's 3 films all rolled together but it works great in one epic sitting.

Despite the long running time, the pace is fine, there are definitely slower areas but everything works so well to really get you in that submarine with the characters and really raises the suspense well. There are some great sequences and without fail the film keeps flipping expectations, celebrations are interrupted by bad news and conversely moments of despair are brightened by small rays of hope. This flip flopping continues right up to the end credits and keeps you on your toes the whole time.

I'm glad I waited to see this version, I don't know how well it would hold together if the suspense moments had to be cut down, or more than likely all of the character moments would have been cut out.

It's rare I get so involved with a war movie but this one did the trick. I can see why it was so popular. It does leave you rather exhausted though so I'll leave it there for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment