Friday, December 2, 2011

Dune


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Mum

Someone once asked David Lynch if he has a favourite film to which he responded with the usual "films are like my children, I love them all differently" answer so many directors give. Someone pipped up and responded "Even Dune?" to which he simply responded "Dune was a very naughty boy." Still, it got him the contract that let him make Blue Velvet so it's not all bad.

And really, anyone is going to have trouble trying to tell a story like this in a regular running time feature film. But I still do like a lot about it. I watched the bluray of the theatrical cut. The extended television version, while it has some cool extra scenes, is a little clunky, I can see why Lynch had his name removed from it.

If you're gonna fail, fail big. This film goes for broke and for a lot of people it's great. I do like the score, the old school fx, some of which are interesting many of which were poor even for the time. The disparate group of actors give it their all selling some tough material. Makes for a great cult film.

No comments:

Post a Comment