Saturday, February 4, 2012

Eyes Wide Shut


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Amberly

Another one it's been a while since I last saw. Sadly, Stanley Kubrick's last film and one I am sure I was probably far too immature to process properly when I first saw it.

It's easier to watch now and focus on the story and characters, without all the tabloid publicity that accompanied it on it's release, Mainly concerning the two stars and also the untimely death of the director. It's perhaps a little more straightforward than I had remembered but there's still this Kubrickian undercurrent of dark unease saturating the scenes.

As Dr. Bill's sexual temptations begin at the start of the film you have no idea just how far things will go or where the film ends up. It kind of segues into a mystery thriller but as it never fully resolves these threads it really just serves as an extended obstacle to overcome. The film is very sure about what its intentions are however I know I forget this everytime and always wish for that tangent to become the main story. I suppose if it was all resolved the film wouldn't still have this uneasy mystery about it upon rewatching.

Alan Cumming! Haha, his brief role here is hilarious.

Longest movie shoot at 400 days? That's quite the commitment.

This film has lost none of its potency. It still manages to draw me in, I find it mesmerising.

No comments:

Post a Comment