Saturday, March 31, 2012

Candyman


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan

Been a long time, I saw this was released on bluray and thought it time for a catch up. I remembered less than I thought, jut the opening and the end. It's such a strange tone for a horror film from that time. Everyone else was doing slashers or thriller and this has elements of both but isn't really either. Like Clive Barker's other great horror release Hellraiser it has this strange romance at the centre of it all.

It's also a film that's all about setting up a mythos and the power of that kind of storytelling. It's certinly interesting and has some great iconic moments but apart from that jump scare at the start (with Ted Raimi! tee hee hee) this one fails to scare me at all. Especially when it creates such a strange compulsion to it's villain.

I might have to look at the rest of this series too, if only because I just saw Bill Condon directed the sequel and my mind had some trouble reconciling that.

No comments:

Post a Comment