Saturday, June 9, 2012

Alien: Resurrection


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Michael

I'm pretty sure this is the Alien film I watched the most as a kid. It just happened to come out at a time when I was the right age for it and I thought it was good fun. I loved the freaky cloning mistakes and thought the hybrid baby was hilarious.

I like to think of this one as the French Art-house alien film. It has a slightly stranger tone than the others. Probably in big part due to how Sigourney Weaver's character has changed. I loved the idea and her exicution of this final outcome. That she's finally become the bane of her original existence, intrinsicly linked to them.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet has made a typically looking grimy yellow-green graded rusty looking film. (At least typical before he made Amelie.) I think he gets the horror and suspense all wrong but his humour is on full display. That could also be due to Joss Whedon's script. 

I've heard many things about changes Jeunet made to the script, I'd love to read the original draft and see what it was supposed to be like. It sounds like there was more action set pieces that were cut out due to expense. 

Nevertheless, Whedons talent for writing a crew of distinct characters is on display here and a few of the humorous lines feel very Whendonesque.

Dan Hedaya, I just can't take seriously as the General. He's just hilarious. Brad Dourif is typically creepy as one of the scientific team and Leland Orser, the freakout guy, gets to do his freakout act. 

They Swim!

The CG doesn't hold up too well, this was still very early cg though. 

On the whole, compared to the others it feels too light. But I grew up with this film and there's much I like about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment