Sunday, October 14, 2012

12 Monkeys


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler

If you want to see a good Bruce Willis Time Travel movie, you can now go watch Looper. But if you want to see a truly great Bruce Willis Time Travel movie, nothing even comes close to the brilliance of 12 Monkeys, Terry Gilliam's wildley exciting extrapolation of Chris Marker's La Jetée.

This is how you do time travel. In my opinion, this is the best way to use the device, both logistically and for a narrative. Not only do you get a great time puzzle to sort out, one that ACTUALLY works without paradox or lazily written branching universes, but you get it in a film beautifully written and constructed, grounded by fascinating against type performances from its 3 leads and to top it off, Terry Gilliam's visual treats that keep surprising me with extra details each time I watch.

This is one of my all time favourite films. I love it dearly. I think it's intelligently handeled, funny, great apocalyptic sci-fi, beautiful and tragic and to add great linear working time travel to the mix means there's no way I could possibly ever say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment