Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Afterschool


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler

I don't think I've ever seen a film this detached. Elephant comes close though and I guess it's similar in other ways too. The framing can be abstracted, often cutting off heads or filmed from behind. We don't even get a look at our main characters until halfway through the film.

Which is one of the reasons I did not recognise Ezra Miller at all. The other being that he is much younger here than how I know him.

This is a very slow and observant film. And the character at the heart of it remains largely illusive. It can be tedious actually. But there were some interesting moments and the film certainly has something on its mind. A tough watch for not very much reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment