Monday, August 19, 2013

Executive Decision


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No

Another title I knew by name only. But I do love that there are 90's action films I can still see for the first time. And a Joel Silver produced action film at that.

So this probably read very differently in a Post 9/11 world. I'm not sure you'd make this movie today, or if you did it would not be so flippant with its fun adventurish tone. I mean it's not an adventure film but it has that 90's action surrealism.

There's just a lot here that feels implausable. But you have to ignore that and treat it as the standard entertainment it is. I love the 90's effects, the way you shoot 90's action, the 90's supporting actors you recognise from other films of the era.

I didn't think the film was that great. Perhaps I'd be more enamoured if I had seen it on its release. The style is still nostalgic though even if the treatment of terrorism seems a little naive today.

No comments:

Post a Comment